Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageFAQSearchMemberlistLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

Share | 

Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475

PostSubject: Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 pm

With Episode being re-released in 3D next month I have prompted discussion in a feature on the website as to whether fans need now to re-evaluate what to some is the weakest film in the Star Wars universe.

What do you think? Do you love it or loathe it? Are you excited to see it in 3D?

Share your views about the film here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Adam
625 Posts

PostSubject: Re: Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?   Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:28 pm

The Phantom Menace has aged very well and now that Yoda has been replaced with a MUCH better CG version, I like it a lot more. If you view it as a family film type of experience and look at it through the eyes of your children, you will see that the bad press it has gotten over the years was not really warranted.

I have never hated the movie. As a matter of fact, I probably never anticipated seeing a movie more than that one. I think that is why it let so many of the OT generation down. We were expecting to get A New Hope all over again and that was not George's vision. While I never hated Jar Jar and he has definitely grown on me now that The Clone Wars has been on for four years, I will say that I was expecting someone more like Chewbacca for the sidekick character. It just felt so different without the main characters we grew up with, like something was missing.

The movie has stood the test of time though. Even Nick Gilard just said in an interview on the Forcecast, that the Darth Maul lightsaber duel is still his favorite fight in all three prequel films. I agree. Maul was a greater villain than Dooku by far. I have grown to appreciate the character of Dooku much more through The Clone Wars also. I always thought he gave a weak performance in AOTC. Between Liam Neeson, Ray Park and the pod race which admit it, no one had ever seen anything like that at that time, I can look past some of the other acting and directing flaws and still enjoy the movie for what it is.

Many of the younger guys I work with say The Phantom Menace is the best of the three. I think it all has to do with how old you were when you saw each of these films. The teenagers in '83 hated the Ewoks but I was eleven and loved them. The adults in '99 hated Jar Jar and here thirteen years later have still never gotten over it! All of these guys along with my son love Jar Jar and TPM. It was their first Star Wars experience.

I can't wait to see ANY Star Wars movie in the theater again. I will be there on February 10th for sure!

Posts 475
Posts 475

PostSubject: Re: Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Having watched the film yesterday (9th) and playing devil's advocate on the original feature, I have to admit I was impressed. This was only the 2nd time I had seen it at the cinema, the first being on its opening night in 1999. Whilst I still felt the mid-section was a little long in places and the acting very weak (the line of dialogue from the old woman about the sandstorm - a case in point). The lines that everybody laughs at actually created a great atmosphere in the cinema, with it soley being Star Wars fans, I could hear groups mouthing or laughing at the lines, with everybody expecting them as they came up.

I found Jar Jar OK, which shocked me and I could actually appreciate the film as one that younger audiences would enjoy. The 3D is a great addition as is the CGI Yoda.

Go see it on the big screen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?   

Back to top Go down

Episode I - Is it time to Re-Evaluate the Film?
Page 1 of 1