Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageFAQSearchMemberlistLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

Share | 

Disney acquisition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225

PostSubject: Disney acquisition   Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am

Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I was listening to NPR while driving and heard a story about Lucas selling off Lucasfilm to Disney for 4.05 billion dollars. George Lucas will be kept on as a creative consultant. Wow. They reported that Lucas felt it was time to pass on the torch to a new generation of star wars fans or something to that effect.

Now initially I had my doubts about the future of Star Wars being in the hands of Disney with George Lucas being kept on as a creative consultant. I mean it's Disney. They make tons of those direct to video/DVD/Blu-Ray sequels. They said they will be making episode 7 by 2015 with a schedule to release a new film every 2 to 3 years.

Disney seems to enjoy gobbling up the popular properties. They have acquired Marvel and Pixar . They seem to have treated those licenses pretty well. They created some entertaining films what were very popular, popular enough to avoid the direct-to-video-sequel route. If this is any indication of how they will treat another already popular license, then we can expect to see some great new Star Wars films come out.

Speculating on the merchandising...well, of course we will still have the action figures. Disney film characters are turned into action figures, dolls, plushies, clothes, food, books, and just about anything else a kid can play with, wear, or eat. Under Lucas the Star Wars license has seen the same treatment. My concern is over the smaller companies. Will the fees become so large that Sideshow and Hot Toys will lose their 12" licenses? Will we be left with Hasbro's less articulated, less detailed, cheaper, more play oriented, 12" action figure style? Will Dark Horse be forced to abandon the Star Wars comics line? Will Star Wars become yet another Marvel title (actually will it go back to Marvel since Star Wars comics started off at Marvel)? Will Disney cut Hasbro out of the action figure line and go with a cheaper company? I picked up some of the Tron figures. While they had some cool lighting effects, they were a bit lacking in quality (missing parts, bent parts, some shabby paint jobs). On the other hand, Disney seems to have no shortage of merchandise. They might light the fire under Hasbro's feet to get them in line with better production and distribution.

Also, how will this effect the fan fiction community? For better and for worse, Disney is very protective of its properties. Will we see an Empire-like force choke on creativity from fans as cease and desist letters start going out? What about parodies and pop culture references? Will Robot Chicken get a slap down? Will Family Guy still have so many references to Star Wars? So many questions, so much can go right and so much can go wrong. What are your thoughts and feelings on this?
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts

PostSubject: Re: Disney acquisition   Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 am

It is going to be ruined!
The next Star Wars movie and or television show is going to be like High School Musical!
Back to top Go down
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225

PostSubject: Re: Disney acquisition   Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am

Jedi High the Musical.

Padawans of Palpatine Place.

Appropriate quote:
"I have a bad feeling about this."

Devil's advocate quote:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts

PostSubject: Re: Disney acquisition   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

So Far, Disney has made some poor choices.

As mentioned elsewhere, The Clone Wars has been canceled.

Episode 2 and 3 3-D releases have been "Postponed"

Star Wars Detours, the Seth Green show, has been "Postponed"

Lucasarts has been shut down, and 150 jobs lost.

Lucasanimation has been all but disbanded, with only a handful of the crew still on board.

Industrial Light and Magic has also sufferd job loss and cuts.

Disney has also made cuts to the animation department on their own studios.

Dave Filoni has been on record saying that he remains at Lucasfilm, to develop another animated show. This is the only good news for the last several weeks. I am trying to stay positive about Episode 7. I don't think JJ was my first choice, but as long as he doesn't make it too over the top or try to turn it into Trek, it should be pretty good, I HOPE!

Personally, postponing Ep 2 and 3 doesn't make any sence. This would have been the perfect lead in to the new trilogy. Give us 2, 3 in the fall, and then 4,5,6 throughout 2014. To bring us all right into ep 7!

Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225

PostSubject: Re: Disney acquisition   Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Yes in light of all these cuts...it sens Disney is givivg Star Wars the death of a thousand cuts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disney acquisition   

Back to top Go down

Disney acquisition
Page 1 of 1