Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot Empty
PostSubject: The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot   The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Well Star Wars fans, after almost TWO YEARS we can finally go to retail stores and buy NEW Star Wars toys! (Well, most of us. Depending on the store of course)

Here is a look at the first wave of Hasbro's new 6" scale Black Series figures.

First, let me say that I am a 3 3/4 guy, heart and soul. I will throw money at Hasbro for as long as that line continues. I do plan on still buying them, but with the current wave that is out, I only wanted a couple of the new figures. These 6" are good alternatives for when there is not much else to interest you.

Hasbro has teamed up with Gentle Giant to produce these new figures. They are not without flaws, but in my opinion, they are pretty darn good and I hope this line has at least enough success to get us through all the main characters. The thing I find a bit strange is that they chose to start with Luke in X-Wing pilot gear. How about give us a nice Luke Tatooine first?

BLACK SERIES 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot
The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 029_zps5873f2f3

I could not wait to get my hands on this figure. I was lucky enough to show up at a local Target and have a worker pull them directly from the back room or me. My first purchase was this figure, as well as R2-D2. When I got home, I opened the box and promptly began looking it over.

This is a very GOOD figure. There are a few things that should be pointed out, however. I can say that while it does indeed look a lot like Mark Hamill, this is not the best likeness we have seen from Hasbro. Some of the 3 3/4 figures have a bit better of a likeness.

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 020_zpsbed79b54

Articulation is EVERYWHERE.... except the waist. They gave him a ball jointed upper torso, yet the waist does not turn. Wrists, ankles, and even upper thighs all have articulation. The figure has a nice weight, and is fairly well balanced, so standing him is not that hard. He even holds nice action poses. The head has a new feature from Hasbro. While still a traditional ball and socket, the neck post also moves UP and DOWN! Giving him the ability to hang his head or hold it up high. Thighs swivel, hips are ball jointed and arms are articulated as the wrists, elbows and shoulders just like the 3 3/4 figures.

He does not come with any spectacular accessories. You get what you get with any other Luke X-Wing. Helmet, saber and blaster. The saber blade is removable from the hilt, and the hilt features a working D-ring! Luke has a hook on his belt that you can hang the saber hilt on. This looks fantastic!

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 023_zps9bbc439c

The pins in the joints are the right color. There is another figure in the line where this is an issue, but we will address that later. There is one thing worth noting. On the back of the boot on his right leg is a fairly large C E logo. Some guys are reporting that their Luke does not have this. It is the European Conformity logo, and must be on all items that have been cleared for sale in Europe. Why some have them and some do not, I am not sure.

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot 022_zpsdb522311

Overall, I am pleased with this figure. Sure, there are things Hasbro could have done better. For the 20.00 price point, they probably SHOULD have done them better. Some people are complaining about bad paint apps. My figure looks pretty good to me. Take your time and check a few before you commit to buying one. If you can't find any others to compare it to, buy, then seek out others to exchange, if possible or if you are not happy with the apps your particular figure has.

While I think this line is going to be quite successful, the one drawback is the price point. 20.00 each is not something to be taken lightly. There are other toy lines that can produce 6-7" toys for less money, but I'm sure the license fees are not anywhere near what Hasbro has to pay. And when you take into account that Hasbro also worked with GG on these, GG also needs a cut as well.

Do I suggest this figure as an insta-buy for others? YES. Grab him while you can!

MORE photos of Luke X-Wing can be seen HERE: https://s1135.photobucket.com/user/djw121/library/Black%20Series%20wave%201
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973

The Black Series 6" #01 Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot
Page 1 of 1