Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

Original vs Replacement

Go down 
+4
darthzekiel
darth myles
DJ121
Darth Father
8 posters

Original or Replacement Decals
Original Decals
Original vs Replacement I_vote_lcap60%Original vs Replacement I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
Replacement Decals
Original vs Replacement I_vote_lcap40%Original vs Replacement I_vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

Original vs Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 am

I have been debating using replacement decals on my Vintage ships.

So, I am creating a poll to get your opinion on this debate.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 pm

I have been thinking about this too, DF.

I am a HUGE supporter of original, but I do agree that sometimes, especially for decals, repro may be the only option. I voted for vintage, but those sticker sheets are very few and far between.
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
darth myles
Posts 100
Posts 100
darth myles

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 pm

we do what we have to do. id use repro's to display something.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 am

Quailty is the key for stickers. If they look VERY VERY close to original, then it's probably not a bad idea.

I have an X-Wing that is only missing one sticker. i'd probably put a repro on that.

I just don't have a steady enough hand anymore to cut them out myself and hope I didn't mess them up too bad. It is rare, but I have seen some people on ebay offer pre cut sheets.
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:56 am

I have found some original decals for the Falcon on e bay. Exhuast ports and afterburners. Watching them.
Back to top Go down
darthzekiel

darthzekiel

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:52 pm

I say if its going to save you some grief and they look passable, why not go with replacements? If you have them on display, how many people will see them and think "hey that's a nice collection! Too bad the 3rd exhaust port on the left is a replacement sticker, that totally fxcks everything up!"
Back to top Go down
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:12 pm

I agree with DZ. If you are concerned about selling the stuff later then I wouldn't do it. But if you don't care about that and just want to complete something so you're happy, then go for it.

This is a little different, but from time to time I break accessories to other figures, ie. they fall off my shelves and sword and stands, etc. break. Usually my DC stuff and I've had to glue a few things, lightsabers included. It REALLY makes me mad because I think it isn't mint anymore or whatever. But after I fix it and set it back up I feel much better. I'm not in this for money, as I've said before. I'm in it for the artwork, sculpts, thrill of the hunt, etc.

Anyway if you just want to complete a ship or something then do whatever it takes. That's my opinion. Like DZ said, you're the only one who will know but I know that sucks sometimes. The pros and cons of collecting this junk. I mean, it IS just plastic. <--- $0.02 Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://AdamKronewitter.com/
DarthMater
Posts 100
Posts 100
DarthMater

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:32 am

xaos wrote:
I agree with DZ. If you are concerned about selling the stuff later then I wouldn't do it. But if you don't care about that and just want to complete something so you're happy, then go for it.

This is a little different, but from time to time I break accessories to other figures, ie. they fall off my shelves and sword and stands, etc. break. Usually my DC stuff and I've had to glue a few things, lightsabers included. It REALLY makes me mad because I think it isn't mint anymore or whatever. But after I fix it and set it back up I feel much better. I'm not in this for money, as I've said before. I'm in it for the artwork, sculpts, thrill of the hunt, etc.

Anyway if you just want to complete a ship or something then do whatever it takes. That's my opinion. Like DZ said, you're the only one who will know but I know that sucks sometimes. The pros and cons of collecting this junk. I mean, it IS just plastic. <--- $0.02 Neutral

I agree. If you are just wanting to make the ship look complete use the decals. I have thought of finding some of those really rough looking vintage R2's and buying the decals for them. I'd say buy the repros if they are close and put them on. I've only got one ship vintage a landspeeder and luckily the stickers are all there and well placed. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/darthmater/index.htm
SYPHODIAZ
Posts 100
Posts 100
SYPHODIAZ

PostSubject: Reply   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 pm

I think Repro stickers are OK on somebody elses Ship, but not MINE. Ha!

Na!, I think they are ok for Display purposes if they are quality enough, which most arent. They wont increase the value but for appearance purposes, why not?

** Buyer beware, some repro stickers are inverted scans, make sure yours ARENT**

And on the other hand Ive seen some REALLY good ones, that who ever did them, some how some way even "Antiqued" them up a bit, to look slightly aged for a well rounded vintage look, thats a SCARY thought.

Original Full sticker sheets are GREAT if you can get a hold of them, but now days Full sheets are hard to come by, and can serve a greater purpose if left whole, just incase if you ever run across a boxed item or are attempting to rebuild a boxed item (Reverse engineer it) you might want to hold on to your FULL SHEETS to add to Boxed item your rebuilding.

Ive reverse assembled a few of my boxed item, they arent MISB, but are now COMPLETE Boxed items, even if they are OPEN boxed items.

Plan B for some collectors is to remove the Stickers from other vehicles for consolidation on a rebuilt vehicle and this is a VERY DELICATE operation, cause most Vintage stickers that are applied are very hard to remove intact or in good enough shape to be worth reapplying to something else.

--- Good Hunting one and ALL

Bounty Hunter
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks for all the input. I have decided that I will wait for the ever so scarce vintage decals. Is rubber cement a good option for reapplying them?
Back to top Go down
SYPHODIAZ
Posts 100
Posts 100
SYPHODIAZ

PostSubject: Sticker Re application   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

I use elmer's WOOD GLUE, it is more tacky when applied and is Moisture Resistant.

And I use a small Model Paint Brush to apply it, and allow it to get tacky by letting it set for a minute or so before applying the sticker to vehicle.

Make sure you cover the entire sticker back with the glue, those damm pesky little corner start to lift up if you dont.

Also Ive tried the Spray adhesive and its just too damm hard to control when spraying small stickers, will make the sticker flap around when spraying it on and all it basically is, is rubber cement anyway.

Manually applied glue with a small paint brush works out best for me.
Back to top Go down
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225
Morning Light

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Rubber cement...I would test it on some of the plastic first. While it might be okay for the paper part (sticker) it might do some hazing or discoloration to the plastic.

I think I agree with most of the opinions here. For me, repro, as long as it's a good quality, would be fine for display, but it would be nice to actually get some vintage stickers to put on the vintage vehicle.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:10 pm

DF, My advice is to go to a store and in the scrap book section pick up a box of Photo corners.

They are double sided, and supposedly removable. I have used several of them on a few of my ships to re apply vintage stickers. You can trim them to fit any shape, and they seem to work quite well. I can try to take a few pics of the ships I have used them on if you would like. The ONLY thing that miht be an issue for you is that you might see the outline of the photo corner through the back side of the sticker. You won't notice it from a distance though.
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks for all the options for reapplying decals.

I had a decal come off my landspeeder and I tracked down some Falcon thruster decals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original vs Replacement   Original vs Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original vs Replacement
Page 1 of 1