Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

How much is TOO MUCH?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

How much is TOO MUCH? Empty
PostSubject: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

This is a questin that will make you think. I was in Target today, and saw they raised the price of Star Wars figures again. Legends are now 7.98 and Vintage is now 8.99! I did not notice if CLone Wars have been marked up. Dan Curto was saying that Toys R Us has marked the Vintage figures up to 10.99!

Now, I LOVE Star Wars, and I LOVE collecting. There has to be a breaking point somewhere. I want to keep collecting, but with the current prices it is harder and harder to justify. Last night I bought FOUR figures. They cost me almost 34.00! Two years ago, I could have bought six figures for less than that. Is this Hasbro?

My thought was to try an establish a boycot. The only issue I see with this is it could backfire. If no one buys the product Hasbro puts out, they pull the plug. We loose out on some GREAT stuff. Can we boycot ONE store? No Target for figures! Maybe if we pick one chain at a time that would make a difference. But it would have to be EVERYONE in the collecting community! Make them lower the price! Or would that cause them to just drop the line? Personally, if figures hit a permanet price of $10.00, I am OUT of modern collecting.

What do you guys think? How much is TOO MUCH?
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 3:20 am

It is the same in the UK

in 2007 - figures were £4.99 tops - then it went to £5.99. Currently Clone Wars and Legends figures are £7.99 and the vintage wave (which are only available at TRU) are £8.99

Everynow and again they are reduced - I picked up Zuckuss Legends for £3.70 last week - but it was the only one on the shelf.

It's getting very expensive -I have definitely cut back in the last 2 years
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 am

I have cut back a lot too. The reason I get so many things at Christmas and birthdays is that I buy them on sale and save them for later (wife's idea not mine). I try to never buy figures for more than $6 if I can help it. I started collecting again in 2001 and the price of Marvel Legends has doubled since then (so I quit buying them) and Hasbro is getting close to doubling. If you go by TRU prices they have doubled. I think they were 4.99 back then. I got a lot of the potf2 and EP1 figures for 1.99 that were hanging around comic stores and clearance aisles. DC Direct figures have always been between 12 and 15 but I always buy them on sale for half price. I can not even think about buying Star Wars figures for 10 each. ESPECIALLY when there are those generic wanna-be GI Joe figures hanging right by them for $2??? The mark up is ridiculous. If they go past $8 I will be waiting to buy them loose on ebay for 4 or 5 even if it takes a year or two for the price to come down. I'm not sure why I don't just get everything on there now. I guess it's the excitement of walking in and finding the figure you want at the store.
Back to top Go down
http://AdamKronewitter.com/
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 am

I am in the same boat with the prices. As Adam said, I will wait a few years and get them cheaper on ebay or in a trade.
My biggest beef with Hasbro is this:
Now if Hasbro would quit this limited production crap, i.e. CW Aayla, CW Hondo and CW Sidious, that would be cool too. I thought in a Q&A
with RS , they said they were not going to have 1 per case figures any more. I am sure that the 3 forementioned figures will end up being like the TAC Scorch pretty soon, limited production that is sclaped on ebay but will come back in few years on ebay with very low prices.
I am really liking the CW line but will not pay FeeBay prices for limited production figures!
It is hard enough to find certain figures a retail.
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 am

I am pretty sure that it is the retailer that jacks the price. I am sure that was also covered in a Q&A with RS. Hasbro suggests a price but it is not Hasbros call if the retailer jacks them up by 2 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much is TOO MUCH?   How much is TOO MUCH? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much is TOO MUCH?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watto's Junk Shop  :: Collecting :: General-
Jump to: