Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

For the Collector in ALL of us

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SYPHODIAZ
Posts 100
Posts 100
SYPHODIAZ

For the Collector in ALL of us Empty
PostSubject: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:54 pm

I have composed a list of 6 guidelines, which has come from my own personal experience(s) of collecting Star Wars memorabilia (since 1978/1979), consider this a guideline and by NO MEANS a Definitive guide to collecting, and please feel free to add on if you want to. Opinions are like A*******S, we all have them, right, and these just happen to be mine.

#1) DETACH FROM THE ITEM - This the #1 rule for a specific reason, and if
you remember this, you'll get what you want and for the right price. For the most part, someone, somewhere, has the item that you want for the right price. Probably ONLY 1% of the items that exist out there is so rare that you won't find it from somewhere else. I learned this EXPENSIVE lesson, because sometimes you can get so caught up with collecting STAR WARS, that unless you have a money tree you will spend regardless of the price. Don’t get caught up in the excitement or you’re going to be taken for what might end up being an expensive mistake on your part.

#2) DEFINE YOUR COLLECTION - In the world of Star Wars collecting, there is an infinite amount to collect. Everything from tape dispensers, to fine Art work, custom figures, actual movie props and the list goes on. And unless you’re Steve Sansweet getting everything is IMPOSSIBLE to do. However, if you brainstorm and determine what specifically what you want to collect it will help give you focus and find the things that you want. I for example, have a few focused collections within the Star Wars realm of collecting that I focus on. i.e. Loose Vintage Figures, Embroidered Patches, Vintage Posters and Vintage Books, now that doesn't mean that I don't go outside that boundary, but for the most part it’s what I collect and therefore focus on. You have to know EXACTLY what you want.

#3) KNOW THE TRUE PRICE OF AN ITEM - Takes a little bit of research and “Bounty Hunting” skills. To learn what a “Fair” price is involves a little bit skill on the level of Bobba Fett to wait, watch and see. So, if you’re a beginning collector, determine the item(s) that you want, ask different sellers, and other collectors too, to get a fair idea of what demand is and what price your item(s) are going for.

#4) SHOP AROUND - Really important to do, if you find an item you want, make sure you ALWAYS take some time to see what other online sellers or other collector have for sale FIRST. Don’t buy on impulse. Why is this important? When collecting Star Wars, you will almost always get items piece by piece from different sellers. Often times, if I want a particular Star Wars item, I will automatically start asking around from other collectors that I know for referrals or if they have seen this item anywhere online or in person. And,9 times out of 10, one my collecting friends online or in person will already know where I can find what I’m looking for an possibly even at a cheaper price. So there is power in the collective of ALL of us Collectors. Make friends, it makes collecting a lot more productive and FUN.

#5) WHEN THE FUN ENDS- When or if Star Wars ever starts to become more of a chore then it is FUN, it’s time to rethink you collecting and what you collect and the reason(s) you collect. Some have referred to this as your “Black Out Periods” most of us who have been in Star Wars collecting for some time have experienced this at different levels. I have chose to refocus on other aspects of my Star Wars collecting, and these have been the time periods that my side focus collection have grown (i.e. Vintage Cards, Patches, Buttons, Paper items etc) still within the same realm of Star Wars collecting but not necessarily the same old Figures and Playset collecting that 95% of my collecting efforts go towards.

#6) STAY WITHIN YOUR MEANS- There is NO reason or excuse for our Families, Friends, Girlfriends, Wives or Children to have to suffer to our hobby or collecting. If you can’t afford whatever it is that you have set out to collect. LEAVE IT ALONE, not one single collector should be going into extreme amounts of debt, or loosing homes or cars etc, etc over collecting. Easier said than done for some of us, myself included. But something to think about, collecting Star Wars for whatever your reason(s) are should be fun, and not leave anybody crying, hungry or having to beg, borrow or steal for. Something to think about for ALL of us.

I\'m Toast!
Back to top Go down
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:41 am

Sypho - good post
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225
Morning Light

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am

All very good points.

Defining my collection is the hardest part. Sometimes some of the new stuff that comes out is so cool that I have to break away. For the most part, the 12" format is where I try hardest to stay focused. That can get very expensive if you decide to expand your focus.

I also like the collect to collect code.

http://www.rebelscum.com/collect.asp
Back to top Go down
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:06 pm

I find I am easily led in new directions with my collection - but I do tend to focus on the original trilogy items
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
SYPHODIAZ
Posts 100
Posts 100
SYPHODIAZ

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I still find it easier to stray from my collecting even today. I find myself even considering collecting other toy lines. But I try my hardest not to delve into that, cause I am interested in MEGO Vintage Planet of the Apes, but that in and of its self can turn into a rather expensive venture, that for now will only take from my Vintage Star Wars collecting, so I try to stay well enough away from that.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I try to focus on figures and ships. Both Modern and Vintage. My Vintage collection has several ships and a few playsets, and almost all of the figures. Still need like 10 more, all last 17 of course. Hopefully by end of SUMMER I will be done.

It is Very easy to get wrapped up into other aspects as well. I have toy sabers, a couple Master Replica sabers, posters, several copies of the movies and a lot of other stuff. Not to mention the Shirts, Video Games and fast food toys!
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For the Collector in ALL of us   For the Collector in ALL of us Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For the Collector in ALL of us
Page 1 of 1