Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

Favourite Modern Line of Figures?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi all

Just wondering what your favourite line of figures is beyond the vintage ones? Was thinking about this, and I do like the 30th Anniversary ones for the range of characters and sculpts that I really wanted to pick up. They seemed to have a lot of extras with them too; like the coins; additional large extras like the cantina bar sections or moisture vaporator with Luke.

The McQuarrie figures as part of this were a nice touch. This line was also the first I had bought in 10 years after the first two waves of the POTF2 line and got me back into collecting.

I also like the VOTC line with the vintage packaging.

Just was interested in the opinions of other members here. I'd be interested to find out.

Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:19 pm

When I heard you asking about 30th anniversary figures, I thought that sounded odd. I always thought you only liked vintage.

Honestly I have to say that Hasbro for me is usually hit and miss. They get one figure perfect and the next looks nothing like it should. Art means a lot to me so I really hate it when they get it wrong.

With that being said I am going to say that I love the clone wars line. At first I didn't want to collect them because I sort of thought it would come and go like the first micro series figures did. But man, when I saw the Jabba (I've gotta get that) and the "second" Yoda and Cad Bane I was hooked. I really like these figures better now than the others. I love the animated Fett statue amongst others (the one you have Jim) and I feel like the clone wars figures look a lot like that. I would LOVE to see Hasbro put out animated style original trilogy figures. At least we'll be getting Bossk since he's in the finale this season! That line is selling really well according to Hasbro so who knows, maybe they'll do it someday.

Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Page112

Besides those I guess I just consider all of the figures the same, just with different packaging. I thought the build a droid thing was a great idea. I heard a spokesman for Hasbro say that the idea for that was totally derived from the droid factory vintage play set. It was all about kids being able to create crazy droids like we did when we were younger playing with that thing. Not to mention the marketing scam of getting you to buy five or six figures so you could build the droid you really want. I'm gonna laugh a year or two from now when Hasbro repacks all the droids that were chase "parts". I learned my lesson with chasing Hasbro figures. They'll always come back around eventually.

Favourite Modern Line of Figures? A0810

*** Thanks to Derek and Myles for all their help on my clone wars collection. I really appreciate it! ***

Last edited by xaos on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://AdamKronewitter.com/
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 pm

I know I NEED a Right arm for the HK 47 droid! You could only get that part with the concept Anakin. I was VERY lucky to find ONE. I'm not going to open it untill I have a second. So if anyone knows where I can find one, PLEASE let me know.

I would have to say that I liked the OTC line back in '04 when the DVD's were launched. Really like the card style (along Vintage lines) and it was one of the only other lines I completed, with the exception of two exclusive figures.

I also enjoyed the 30th line. really fun (and at times very aggrivating) trying to complete the coin set!
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 2:14 pm

I absolutely love the photos of your Clone Wars collection Xaos.

As for the vintage line - that will always have my affection (although I still need 4 to complete it)
Back to top Go down
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225
Morning Light

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 am

I'd say the 30th Anniversary collection is also my favorite modern line. Before that I had the vintage figures, then nothing for about 10 years. Finally POTF comes out. Anyone remember the POTF Princess Leia, the one that looked more like Luke in drag? That didn't work for me. I didn't like the He-man proportions. I picked up a few POTF figures but I couldn't really get into them, they just didn't look right. When Episode I figures came out, I noticed a massive improvement in proportions. The figures looked much better, but a lot had just basic articulation. I like for my action figures to have more action. This trend continued with better sculpts and basic articulation until the Saga Collection came out. Then we saw more articulation while keeping good sculpts. When TAC came out, with the diversity of characters, including concept figures and expanded universe figures, more figs with good articulation and good sculpts, and bringing back the coin pack-in, and that's what brought me back to collecting Star Wars action figures.
Back to top Go down
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Welcome back Morning Light - good to see you in the forum - where have you been?

Totally agree with your points - I did get the first wave of POTF - mainly because I worked in a toy store at the time and couldn't resist. Plus it was the 1st line of figures since the vintage ones.

Loved the han on torture rack on the 30th collection too.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm

I worked at a retail store called Ames way back then when the toys came back. I can remember waiting for weeks for the first couple cases to arrive. When the shipment arrived, I made sure I got first pick, taking almost a whole case. F*#@ the customers, I needed them!!! When the Episode I figures came out, we could not put them out right away, due to the street date. It gave me plenty of time to pick the cases over, and put everything I wanted aside for the sale date! Yeah, I was one of those retail ass holes who picked all the cases first. Let's face it, I'll STILL cherry pick a case at Wal Mart if I can get my hands on one! LOL
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
Morning Light
Posts 225
Posts 225
Morning Light

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks Jim! I've been pretty busy with work and very little time for hunting for new stuff. I guess it's to my advantage that there have not been too many new 3 3/4 waves released lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Modern Line of Figures?   Favourite Modern Line of Figures? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Modern Line of Figures?
Page 1 of 1