Watto's Junk Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Watto's Junk Shop to arrange trades and discuss collecting

HomeWatto's Site Home PageSearchLatest imagesLog inGalleryRegister
Like the new look for the website? We now have a feed on Tumblr too.

Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?

Go down 
+6
nicodemus rebado
SYPHODIAZ
Adam
DJ121
Darth Father
Jed1_J1m
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Empty
PostSubject: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:54 am

I can't actually believe that Yahoo are closing the site down. They gave up on it early and it has continued to run for over a year on fan content. What will you miss about the site going? A missed opportunity on Yahoo's part?
Back to top Go down
http://www.wattosjunkshop.com
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 pm

I have been using that site for 2 plus years now. I guess I will miss the routine of going to it at least 3 times a day.
But like DJ said, we all have made some great connections and friends because of it.
A very serious loss of potential there.
I went through the pictures to make sure I saved some of the pics that I had put in my favorites.
Later I will make sure I have all of my photos saved too.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 pm

I think the biggest thing I will miss is like Df, loggin in way to many times a day. Adding comments to topics and photos, and giving Thumbs DOWN to most any Non SW content I ran across! LOL

I keep saying it, and I think everyone agrees, Yahoo really let a good thing go. They ran support for only a few months. There was a lot of potential there.

Thankfully that site brought us together and as a result, we have THIS site!

It will be sad to see the site go. For the better part of two years it has been a part of my daily routine. Check email, check ebay, chek WOSW to see who got what or what someone saw.

This site will incorporate most of that over time I hope.

At least Yahoo did something right. It let a bunch of "Scruffy lookin' nerf hearders" come together and start something really cool.
Back to top Go down
http://starwars.yahoo.com/users/cc12b01a2d6c7f52b7b265a63a00c973
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Who's scruffy lookin'?!
Back to top Go down
http://AdamKronewitter.com/
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:17 pm

I've actually quit going to Yahoo World of Star Wars altogether and just check this forum now. Good thing I transfered my blog over to starwarsspace. I did a lot of work on that blog to just have them trash the site.

Will we carry on the BCA's over here at Watto's?

I had a lot a fun at WoSW and I met lots of great people online. My collection would not be nearly as good if I would not have met all of you there. I appreciate every trade and it has been GREAT to talk to other collectors every day for the past two years. Before WoSW I had a collector friend here or there but really I had no one who related to what I like and what I do (collecting, scouring shelves in every store in town, etc).

I finally got to show my collection to the world. Yahoo made it easy (sort of but not really since their buggy site sucked to upload to) to share pics of my collection with people. Once I found the collecting forum I hardly went anywhere else on the site.

I'm so glad Jim and DJ had the idea for a trading group. As soon as I heard about it I knew it could work. I had no idea it would turn out even better than I first imagined. Just look at the pic in my blog of the figures I've traded for. I've gotten tons of stuff through you people. My only regret is that a few of the first members have lost interest over time. I miss a couple of people but I know life happens.

Well, it's almost Thanksgiving again, the time when most of us joined WoSW so here's to another great year! I look forward to a lot more trades hopefully! On Target
Back to top Go down
SYPHODIAZ
Posts 100
Posts 100
SYPHODIAZ

PostSubject: See Ya Yahoo!   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 am

* Im gonna miss the Avatars.

* The personal Pages. Some members (Not like me) took real pride in their personal pages they made.

* The unmonitored (No Sensorship) on the posts. Not like Rebelscum where the Moderator will lock down a thread if they think its getting out of hand.

I dont agree with people settling their differences online, kind of chickenshit if you ask me, but Id like to know if there is a BS Seller or Trader in our midst (Unrefereed)

* I wont miss their CRAZY Sensoship Program they run on there, where words that have even a CLOSE spelling to something else (Curse word etc) is asterisked out.

* I wont miss the occasional pop up of a member (from other parts of the site) who wants to just start shit and be a complete idiot. (with their comments and just over all dumb shit)
Back to top Go down
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:53 pm

xaos wrote:
I've actually quit going to Yahoo World of Star Wars altogether and just check this forum now. Good thing I transfered my blog over to starwarsspace. I did a lot of work on that blog to just have them trash the site.

Will we carry on the BCA's over here at Watto's?:

Xaos - I have approached BCA and offered to support them with a dedicated page on the site. If they decide to host their own page we will still have a link to it direct from Watto's.
Back to top Go down
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm

That's good.
Back to top Go down
nicodemus rebado
nicodemus rebado

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 am

SYPHODIAZ wrote:
Im gonna miss the Avatars.

* The personal Pages. Some members (Not like me) took real pride in their personal pages they made.*

Same here...

Have to completely agree that the upshot of it though is many of us are now connected and will be thus well after WOSW is long gone.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Well said, Nico! Well said.
Back to top Go down
SandTrooper Peter

SandTrooper Peter

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 6:30 am

I'm transferring my pictures over to my Facebook Photo Album, plus all the comments that have been left by everyone. Smile
Back to top Go down
Darth Vilgore

Darth Vilgore

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 5:21 pm

It kinda went down hill for me after I lost my contacts and forgot half the ppl I was talking to, or they quit. Thankfully I have you guyz az leftovers Embarassed

The BCA and Jabba the Traveler was nice when ppl actually wanted him. I liked browzing the pix and Filmz. And just seeing what ppl had done to their page.

I really tried to pimp out my page without having flash b/c my comp didnt like flashy pagez.

I met Darth Myles there who haz become a good friend in person. Except for when he iz making obscene gestures in public.

And well now i'm here after 2+ yearz...... With this pitiful band.
Back to top Go down
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:36 pm

That's great that you two have become friends.

You see DJ, maybe we CAN all hook up at C5! We talked about that a while ago. It would be surreal for all of us to meet at a convention. Stranger things have happened.
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

I am still checking every day. Since this topic was posted, I think there has been 2 posts to WOSW collectors thread. It will be hard AFTER it shuts down to not go there. I will have to delete the link from my favs!

I am going to make yahoo do the work of deleting my page. Jerks any way!
Back to top Go down
SandTrooper Peter

SandTrooper Peter

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 am

Darth Father wrote:
I am still checking every day. Since this topic was posted, I think there has been 2 posts to WOSW collectors thread. It will be hard AFTER it shuts down to not go there. I will have to delete the link from my favs!

I am going to make yahoo do the work of deleting my page. Jerks any way!

Hey Darth Father,

I noticed that you've changed your name to Qui-Gon Jinn over the soon to be closed Yahoo WOSW Wink This is my Avatar image Twisted Evil over there while this site is still around till December 15 :

Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? T128
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 am

Yea, I changed my name and avatar after reaching level 60.
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 6:55 pm

I can't seem to get past level 51. Guess there is no real point in trying to level up now. LOL.

Guess I didn't upload enough pics or something. I had plenty of forum posts though!

I keep checking it, but not every day like I had been. Still really sad they are shutting it down. But, at least there is enough for us to focus one here!
Back to top Go down
Empress Palpatine
Empress Palpatine

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

The Best Profile Ever voting is now open in the Help! forum. All WOSW members are welcome to vote. It's one last hoorah for those who proved truly interested in the site: its members.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/emprs_palpatine
DarthMater
Posts 100
Posts 100
DarthMater

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 am

I think what I'll miss most are the people that I have met over there on that site. I will miss being able to meet new fans at a central gathering point. The site really did help to bring together a lot of great people. I won't miss though the poor management of the site and I won't miss all the frustrating quirks that became normal standard procedure over there. The site really had the potential to become a cash cow for Yahoo but alas I am just a peon and know nothing. If they would have done it right with contest, competition, and just a little oversight the could have made millions of dollars off of that site. All it would have needed was some free give aways of Star Wars Merchandise in form of contest and they could have pumped their advertising cost up with the increase in bandwith usage they would have amassed. You know every tweet and other forums would be buzzing if the site hadn't been on life support for the past two years. Well enough of my griping it is gone and that is that. All the King's men and all the King's horses couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again! Goodbye World of Star Wars!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/darthmater/index.htm
Adam
625 Posts
Adam

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 pm

The World of Star Wars is no more. I just clicked the link to go and it was gone. Here's to Watto's Junk Shop!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Empress Palpatine
Empress Palpatine

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, it is gone and it isn't...

http://fe6.worlds.re1.yahoo.com/

Mad
Back to top Go down
DJ121
625 Posts
DJ121

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Leave it to Yahoo to screw up shutting down one of their OWN sites! LOL

But, I guess technically they said the starwars.yahoo.com would be redirected to starwars.com

So that leaves the current address to take us there. Maybe I should have waited before I cleaned out my profile! LOL
Back to top Go down
Darth Father
625 Posts
Darth Father

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 12:44 am

My page is still there.
I went to the collecting thread and posted a WTF?
Back to top Go down
Jed1_J1m
Posts 475
Posts 475
Jed1_J1m

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 pm

I can't believe the site is still there! How did you find that Empress? I wish in some ways that it had been deleted fully - I feel that now it will surely just drift into obscurity. There were very few people and regular members commenting on the forums.

As I put on Watto's homepage "it was fun while it lasted"
No
Back to top Go down
Empress Palpatine
Empress Palpatine

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

I first saw the new address in a message from Darth Dianthus on Facebook. The word's been passed through there several times now, though I'm not sure who first found it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?   Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yahoo are closing the World of Star Wars site many of us met on - What will you miss about the site?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next